Puerto Vallarta Snorkeling
When is the best time for snorkeling in Puerto Vallarta?
In general, you can snorkel all year around in Puerto Vallarta thanks to the warm Pacific waters. Underwater visibility is best during summer when you can see as far as 100 feet. In winter you can see up to 60 feet. The best time to visit Puerto Vallarta is between April and June because of the amazing weather and the affordable rates. October has the best water temperatures and conditions for snorkeling and diving.
Where is the best place for snorkeling?
There are many. Try Los Arcos and Yelapa in the south of Banderas Bay. Yelapa can only be reached by boat so it makes it an excellent place to snorkel. There are fewer people, more time and space and it makes for an excellent day trip. Snorkelers can explore shallow coves and encounter starfish, giant lobsters, turtles, and eagle rays. From July to November, giant Pacific Manta Rays can often be seen.
One option you can try is to ask a Suite Marine yacht captain to plan a trip to Los Arcos National Marine Park. There are many caves and arches to be explored and snorkelers encounter turtles and pufferfish.
What equipment do I need for snorkeling?
Nowadays, people like to rent or buy a full face snorkel which is the breathing apparatus and the mask combined. Snorkelers also use fins to push themselves through the water faster and easier.
Depending on your needs and amount that you want to snorkel you could consider using snorkel vests for children safety, waterproof snorkel bags and snorkel belts which carry shoes and cameras. Snorkeling shoes are also important if you walking in rocky areas.
Suite Marine will be happy to arrange and plan everything that you need for your snorkeling trip. Be sure to ask for our assistance when you book your stay on the Suite Marine yacht.
But before you go snorkeling in Puerto Vallarta, here are some important things to consider:
1. Choose a mask that doesn’t fog up. It’s important to clean your mask often and not to touch the inside with your finger. Also, ask your snorkel rental if they use an anti-fog product on the masks. When putting it on your face, shake any water out first and make sure you have a good airtight seal.
2. Get a dry snorkel – spend just a little more and rent a dry snorkel that has a special valve that stops water entering when you go underwater. This is especially useful for a first time snorkeler.
3. Get fins that fit you. It’s best to select fins that are neither too tight, nor too loose and that doesn’t hurt. Fins are also important for safety and save you a lot of energy.
4. Reserve your equipment with Suite Marine in advance.
5. Ahead of time, practice in a pool
Don’t forget to read our definitive guide of things to do in Puerto Vallarta when you plan your visit here.
Maybe people who like Puerto Vallarta snorkeling are also interested in Puerto Vallarta whale watching. Follow the link for all the details.